Sunday 29 May 2011

kare raisu bento

Short grain white rice, vegetarian kare raisu, orange and diet chocolate mousse.

Calories: 476 (1988kj)

I made the kare raisu (Japanese curry with rice) for dinner. O.M.G... It was SO tasty! I loved it.
I made it loosely following Maki's recipe. Except, I'll admit I was too lazy to make my own curry roux, and used the S&B brand Golden Curry, the "hot" variety (which wasn't hot at all).
My kare is a vegetarian version, with a can of soy beans rather than meat.

It was still quite watery towards the end of cooking, so I thickened it by cooking a tablespoon of flour in a tablespoon of melted butter. When the flour has been cooking for about a minute, you stir though a cup of the sauce from the curry. Then stir the whole mixture into the curry. It thickened my curry almost instantly.

Time & process:
  1. Make kare raisu for dinner - 90 minutes
  2. Cook rice in rice cooker - 30 minutes
  3. Place cooled curry and rice in bento box - 2 minutes
  4. Remove peel from orange and place in bento box with chocolate mousse - 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment